Mobile Ordering is Ruining the Coffee Shop Experience - Starbucks, are you listening?


I did not understand why it took so long to get my order from the Starbucks at the bottom of my building.  

They always have plenty of baristas.  In fact, they almost appear to be running over each other.  I make an effort to go during "off-times" to avoid the early morning crowd, but it just seems to take an unusually long time to get my pastry or breakfast sandwich.

And then last week, I ran into two of my co-workers.  I was patiently (okay, losing patience) waiting for my order to be prepared and they walked right up and snatched their orders from the counter.  What was happening?  Did they have an "in" at Starbucks?

They did.  And it's called "mobile ordering."  And the long-term effects of this new "mobile ordering system" are ruining the coffee shop experience.  In my opinion.  

It happened again yesterday.  Saturday morning.  No long lines yet a 15 minute wait for a mocha.

I'm all for technology and changing times, but the mobile ordering is making a great day for those who are just too busy to bother with standing in line or detaching from their phones long enough to stand in line and take a chance on making a new friend or interacting with a barista.

No offense to the millennials (or Starbucks) but there's something very wrong with a system that leaves me with a good cup of coffee and a very bad attitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Your Mother's Eight O'Clock Coffee - Columbia Single Serve Cup

All Time Favorite Coffee Jingles