Which Came First - The Donut or Coffee?



I blogged a few days ago about my new indulgence - the cronot.  NOT to be confused with the New York sensation, "the cronut."  I won't repeat myself here, but you can see from my previous post, it's a cross between a croissant and a donut.

But while enjoying my cronot, I started to think about how much I love donuts.  I was practically raised on them.  I promise you that I did not raise my daughter on donuts, but I'm from a different generation and hey, my mother was a donut-afficiado - what can I say?

When I was a kid, there was a bakery that sold the most delightful Danish pastries - made right on the premises by the Danish gentleman himself.  But pastries weren't my thing.  My thing was the light and fluffy glazed donuts that he sold.  And if you knew the right time to go, you could get them while they were hot.

I've been trying to find a donut that would even come close to those donuts back then.  The closest I've found is probably Shipley's Donuts.  But they don't sell Shipley's where I live.

Anyway, back to the point of this post - it became apparent to me that I love coffee so much because I first loved the donut.  And, everybody knows that there's nothing better to accompany a donut than a hot cup of coffee.  And because I never liked milk, it was not until I was "of age" to drink coffee that I found out what my donut was missing.

And while I may not have a donut every day, there's absolutely no reason I can't have coffee every day, and so, I do.

Here's to you donut, without you, I probably would have never fell in love with my good friend, coffee.

Comments

  1. Wow, could i use a hot donut right anout now!!! Now, you know I will be hitting up my local donut shop bright and early tomorrow morning to catch the baker just as he's glazing those hot babies!!!!! Then I will take my bag of three hot donuts straight to the nearest Starbucks and park with a cup of freshly brewed Pike's Place and newspaper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Your Mother's Eight O'Clock Coffee - Columbia Single Serve Cup

All Time Favorite Coffee Jingles