Happy New Year!




Last night, I watched one of my all-time favorite movies, "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray. It's a great movie and evokes a lot of thought about change in our lives and habits. Perfect film for a New Year.

There were several scenes shot in a coffee shop. And if you know the movie, which I'm sure you do, it is based on a weatherman who goes to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania every year to cover the story of Punxsutawney Phil. However, the location for most of the shooting of the film was not actually Punxsutawney but rather Woodstock, Illinois.

Anyway, it got me to thinking that there was one thing obviously missing in the scenes. Obvious to me, anyway, being the coffee lover that I am. There were no big chain coffee houses in any of the scenes. Nobody was holding paper cups with famous logos. They were just drinking coffee. Pure and simple.

And that's because in 1993 when the film was made, people weren't the coffee elitists that we are now. When we wanted a cup of coffee, we drank whatever was being poured at the restaurant, coffee shop, 7-11 or gas station. And we survived.

So, this year, I am making a resolution to give more time and mention to the old-fashioned coffee roasters (you know, Maxell House, Folger's, Yuban, etc.) because they need love too!

It's going to be a wonderful 2011. I can feel it in my mug.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Your Mother's Eight O'Clock Coffee - Columbia Single Serve Cup

All Time Favorite Coffee Jingles