Oh, Camellia. . .


Today's post either has everything to do with coffee or nothing to do with coffee. It depends on how you look at it.

When I picked up my morning paper (with my first cup in hand), the headline of the Garden Section grabbed my attention. It was a feature story about camellias. You know the flowers. And looking at the picture made me almost cry. I started thinking about my mother and how she grew the most beautiful camellias. Actually, my mother could grow anything.

And then I started thinking about how I had intended to take a bunch of daffodils from my yard to the cemetery before they withered away and how there's never enough time in the weekend to do all the things I plan. Which made me realize that my daffodils didn't hold a candle to my mother's camellia bushes. And how I wished that I hadn't ignored her half the time when she was talking because then maybe, just maybe, I would know more about camellias and flowers and how to do laundry better.

And then the more I drank from my cup, the sadder I got because then I remembered how when I first introduced Mama to gourmet coffee how much she enjoyed it and that she really didn't want to drink instant anymore. And then I started thinking that she was a master gardener but I'm a coffee gourmand. Or, at least I appreciate good coffee.

And that leads me to my last point which is would you rather have a beautiful garden or a Ph.D. in "coffee-ology?" And since I'm never going to be a great gardener, I will continue in my pursuit of the perfect cup.

Ain't it funny how one thing leads to another?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Your Mother's Eight O'Clock Coffee - Columbia Single Serve Cup

All Time Favorite Coffee Jingles