THROWBACK THURSDAY




There’s one thing I don’t talk about much here.  It’s my affection for Yuban coffee.  It’s not that I’m embarrassed that I like it.  It’s just that I feel that no one is really interested.  These days it’s all about the gourmet, the micro-roast, the new coffee on the scene, the new machine, the new method, the new grinder, the new container. 



But, it’s really what’s on the inside that counts.  

 I lost a dear friend six years ago.  When she was in the last few months of life, one of the few pleasures she was still able to enjoy was a cup of coffee.  She liked strong coffee.  And she usually drank one of the bold blends from a California company that starts with a  “P.”  While having coffee one day, I asked her if she liked any other brand of coffee.  She told me that years before she used to drink Yuban.  Then we chatted for a bit about how good Yuban coffee tastes.  She said she hadn’t seen any in years in the market.



So, the next time I went to visit, I brought over a big can of Yuban.  She was thrilled. 

I was thinking today about Christmas gifts.  Did you ever wonder what your neighbor might say (you know the one who isn’t “hip” like us and a coffee connoisseur) if you wrapped up a big can of coffee with a bow and walked it across the street with an old-fashioned holiday card?  Not the e-cards.  I’m talking the real-deal with the house on the front covered in snow or a snowman.  And not the uber-expensive cards of today, but the ones you get in a box of 20?



You might get to know your neighbor better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Your Mother's Eight O'Clock Coffee - Columbia Single Serve Cup

All Time Favorite Coffee Jingles